Nursing Assistant - Day Hospice
Health & Social Care
Hours of Work:
22.5 days per week spread over 3 days (Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday)
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who either has experience or an interest in palliative care to join our team based at the Wokingham Day Hospice.
This is a part time post working 22.5 hours spread over 3 days (Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday)
Previous care work is desirable but not essential. You will be working as part of our team you will be responsible with other staff and volunteers for providing a comfortable, safe, welcoming environment to support people attending the Day Hospice to be as independent as their illness allows; and support a team of registered nurses and other health care professionals in providing a programme of activities, therapies and clinic reviews for patients. We are also looking for an individual who would be interested in running a wellbeing group alongside our diversional therapist as part of their job role within their contracted hours. There are opportunities for further training such as communication and venepuncture.
Key skills and responsibilities:
• The post holder will be responsible for reporting and documenting any changes to the team leader/registered nurse.
• Provide ongoing support to patients with limited life expectancy and their relatives.
• Demonstrate a range of listening and observational skills to enable identification of physical and psychological issues for patients.
• To participate in therapeutic patient group activities.
• To communicate appropriately, demonstrating a range of communication skills with patients, relatives, visitors, staff and volunteers.
• To demonstrate an understanding of the principles of nursing care addressing the patients spiritual, emotional, psychosocial, cultural and physical needs.
• In accordance with care plans, provide care and therapeutic activities for patients. Assess and report the changing needs of patients and identify possible risks.
• Keep appropriate written and computer records and record all actions and outcomes accurately, understanding the reasons for the choice of therapies and activities.
• To supervise patients’ mealtimes, this includes helping to serve patient meals.
• To undertake as required the following:
o Documentation relating to all patient monitoring and assessment, e.g. blood pressure, Temperature, waterlow assessment, Manual Handling and falls assessments.
o Capillary blood sampling, reading and recording.
o Perform simple dressings following care plans as guides.
o Venepuncture (desirable but not essential)
• Competitive pay rates
• Continuation of NHS pension
• 25 days holiday rising to 30 plus bank holidays pro rata
• Option to buy and sell holiday up to five days
• Private pension matched at either 3% or 5%
• Enhanced Maternity Benefits
• Refer a friend scheme
• Carers leave policy
• 24 hour employee assistance line for free advice on work, family and personal life
• PeoplePerks - discounts with hundreds of retailers and services that can amount to an average annual saving of GBP 350
• Staff discount of 15% on new goods at the online shop
• Childcare Vouchers
• Development opportunities for all
Location: Wokingham Day Hospice, Wokingham RG41 2RE (May require rotation to the other sites on occasion).
At Sue Ryder not only do we treat more conditions than any other UK charity in our hospices, neurological care centres and out in the community; we also campaign to improve the lives of people living with them. We see the person, not the condition, taking time to understand the small things that help that person live the fullest life they can.
To learn more about joining this amazing team, please apply now or email Gurdeep Timana - @: email@example.com or call 07970 771294.