Are you experienced at managing or supervising a team within the retail sector? Do you have the skills to assist our Shop Manager in the day to day running of our Furniture Superstore? If so, come and join our team at our Westcliff-on-Sea Superstore in West Road and be part of one of the UK’s most recognisable charities and contribute to the work we do across Sue Ryder.
Our Sue Ryder West Road shop is a 4,000 sq ft furniture shop within a lovely community. We have customers who have been furnishing their homes from us since we opened in 2008. We have daily collections and deliveries of donated furniture ranging from modern to vintage and retro. Remember that you could often be moving stock – which will involve lifting heavy goods or furniture.
As our new Assistant Shop Manager you will be vital to our success by using your retail experience to drive the business, push sales and achieve targets. Your hard work and dedication will directly help the people Sue Ryder are caring for every day. Use your entrepreneurial flair to make a difference and we will reward you with career development within our expanding retail business.
The key responsibilities include:
• Managing a team of paid staff and volunteers alongside the manager to ensure they receive ongoing support and training to assist you in providing an excellent customer experience
• Proactively maintain a well merchandised shop that pushes the boundaries and goes above and beyond your customers’ individual expectations
• Encourage regular inbound donated goods, including furniture and white goods for the shop, managing the stock processing, pricing and display
• Work with Area Managers to achieve various objectives and targets relating to productivity and income
You will have retail experience with the commercial awareness to deliver sales. You’ll have a positive attitude and good judgement to do the right thing. A basic understanding of finance and good IT skills are essential. Above all else you will have a positive can do attitude combined with the ambition to succeed in making a difference.
Experience and Skills:
• Experience managing or supervising a team
• Retail experience
• Experience of working in a team
• Handles payments by cash, card or cheque responsibly and accurately
• Able to use own initiative and work autonomously
• Experience in handling furniture and/or large domestic appliances
*Competitive Benefits Package* – 25 days holiday plus bank holidays (pro rata), buy and sell holiday scheme, private pension, staff discount with thousands of retailers, enhanced maternity pay, 15% off New Goods and lots more. For a full list of employee benefits please visit our main careers webpage.
A little bit about us... We are one of the largest charity retailers in the UK with over 450 shops. Our highly effective retail operation generates funding so we can continue to provide 2.7 million hours of expert medical, practical and emotional support every year, in our hospices and neurological centres, in people's homes and in the community. Our much-loved presence on high streets across the country - with a range of new and innovative shops, including boutiques, vintage and retro shops, and large format stores, we want to continue drive up the income that our retail operations generate.